Wednesday, August 3, 2011

New School Year!

After a year and a half too long of public school, we're back in control of our own education. We're going with PA Cyber this time. They're very promising. With several curriculum options for each grade, no necessity of playing games with our records, and a closer relationship with the educational coordinator and no illusions about who is actually implementing the education of my children.

I've collected folders, copied out ID's etc and I'm sitting down with the online materials. Summer is officially over! Well, summer break, that is. I look forward to enjoying each season fully-school in session or not.

The instructional supervisor called me this morning, all our materials are released for us to explore fully.

I'm more than a little nervous. We had to spend those months in brick and mortar school catching up on the RRR's because we'd done a terrible job with the basics. I am not willing to go back to that. I simply don't trust a school with the care and feeding of my kids, keeping them safe from bullies, or to keep then engaged. It was quite clear that kids who didn't make a fuss really didn't get individual attention, no matter how good and well meaning the teachers were. But, the structure worked miracles with my kids. And structure is a subject where I fail each and every time.

What's different this time?
The kids are used to studying spelling, grammar, writing, structure, math, etc. They're a year and a half older and that much easier to manage. And I've seen what happens when my ultimate consequence kicks in-we are not happy in brick and mortar school. We've found a charter school option that's better suited to our needs- we can self pace and, if it becomes necessary, we can use a virtual classroom to bring in the influence of an outside instructor. PA Cyber doesn't have perfect flexibility- we can't switch back and forth at will, but the options are all there for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment