Friday, August 19, 2011

Inservice day

It's a bit early, but I needed the day to untangle how we're going to juggle three schedules and what I need to make in order to really be able to pull this off. Also the kids friends start school on Monday or Tuesday, and everybody's eager to spend as much energy as possible. Win-Win situation. They all went to a friend's house until 3 oclock!

After sorting and reading for a few hours I feel more on top of things.
I've ascertained that there isn't a formal spelling list for the non-spelling sixth grader. A problem quickly solved by the internet.
I need to dig out a couple of old cork boards for the "word wall" and weather charts and make a space for the calendars. Also one kid has morning work and the others don't so I have a schedule hole to file. Hooray for missing spelling and other projects I'd like to work on. I think I'm also going to make re-arrangeable subject hang cards so the kids can see what they're day's going to look like at a glance. And I'm going to hide this all on the backs of the doors to the coat closet, so we can put school away. My house is just a little too small to have a dedicated school room.

I need to talk to the Calvert teacher. Persephone's assignments in composition are a big deal and there's a very strong formal requirement. I hope it's not a big part of the grade. She loves to be formal, but I'm worried that she'll get caught up in that and will neglect content. I'm sure a short conversation will make me feel better. I really wish there was a Lincoln curriculum for her. The material in Calvert is excellent, but it's more formal than I like. Formality for a year won't hurt, probably.

All I know is our days are going to be full full full.

No comments:

Post a Comment